Sunday, August 31, 2014

Walk for Apraxia (this is my (Sara's) Ice Bucket Challenge)

David vs Apraxia Personal ImageI normally don't do this but I am going to make this post and ask for donations in honor of my cousin's son (pictured at left with me) who has Apraxia.  This is my ice bucket challenge without the ice bucket.  I know must of you are going what is Apraxia.  Childhood Apraxia of Speech (CAS) is motor speech disorder.  Children with CAS have trouble saying sounds, syllables and words.  This is not because of muscle weakness or paralysis.  The brain has problems planning to move the body parts (e.g., lips, jaw, tongue) needed for speech.  The child knows what he or she wants to say, but his/her brain has difficulty coordinating the muscle movements necessary to say those words.

I am joining his mom Amanda Wedeking Massey, Saturday, October 18, 2014 in Benton, KY at Mike Miller Park for the West Kentucky Walk for Children with Apraxia.  We are accepting donation here to help with programs and research.

To learn more about Apraxia visit The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment