Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Woolzies Dryer Balls


     Woolzies are dryer balls handmade form New Zealand wool that soften your laundry naturally without any of the chemicals found in most fabric softeners. Unlike the plastic dryer balls, Woolzies are PVC free and won't fall apart or melt on you. Woolzies claim to save time and energy by cutting down on drying time by an average of 25% per load, I'll address this more later. They also help reduce static and wrinkles.  Woolzies are also hypo-allergenic and totally safe for people with wool sensitivities as they will not shed onto your laundry.

     Woolzies sent both of The Sibling Savers a set of Woolzies 6XL Wool Dryer Balls, retail $34.95, for free in exchange for us doing a review of their product.

     For me, GregC., being eco-friendly is a nice bonus but it is not a deciding factor.  I am all about performance and saving money.  Years ago my dryer went out and when I showed up at our parents house with a laundry basket of wet clothes my mom said she had been wanting a new dryer for a while and told dad she was getting a new dryer and told me I was taking her old one.  I like saving money so delaying purchasing a new dryer was fine with me.  The problem was this dryer was the one they bought when Sara and I were in high school.  That dryer went through clothes for the four of us plus all mine and Sara's soccer and track clothes.  Needless to say, that dryer had more than it's share of miles on it.  When I received it, it worked but it didn't dry clothes quickly.  Recently the dryer had been getting much slower and I was afraid it was finally time to buy a new one.  About that time, we received the offer to review Woolzies.

     I was absolutely amazed at how well Woolzies worked.  The first thing I noticed was the reduced drying time.  Woolzies advertises reducing drying time by an average of 25%.  I've noticed my drying time reduced by any where from 25% to in some cases 50%.  My old dryer required each load to go through 2 full cycles to get everything dry.  With Woolzies, I have loads that are now done after a single cycle.  As much as I like saving money by running the dryer less, I like the time I save even more.  Because I am able to finish loads so much quicker, things like my shower curtain and the comforter my dog uses as one of her beds get washed much more often.

Woolzies claim to last for 1,000 loads.  When the cost of Woolzies is divided out over the expected 1,000 loads, Woolzies are very comparable to the cost of any other dryer sheet or ball but with the added benefit of being eco-friendly and chemical free.  The only problem I have found with Woolzies is that I have several athletic shirts that have a satin feel and when I dry these shirts they produce a lot of static and while grabbing the shirt and giving it a good snap tends to release the static they still do better with a dryer sheet.

 
     Woolzies does have instructions to help refresh the static reduction qualities.  I have done this and it does help keep everything static free, except for those few shirts I have.  The reduced drying time, however, is enough to have me sold on Woolzies Dryer Balls.  I can't say I would have ever tried Woolzies if we wouldn't have been asked to try them for free and review them but I can honestly say that after using them for about 2 months that I will continue to use them and when this set wears out I will be purchase a new set.

UPDATE 2/19/2014

My Woolzies dryer balls no longer prevent static and I have had to start adding a dryer sheet to most loads.  The dryer balls still help with drying time so I am pleased with that.  When we received our free dryer balls to review we were told Woolzies would provide another set for a giveaway after we had a chance to review them.  We have reviewed them and contacted Woolzies but they never got back with us so there will not be any giveaway, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment